Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Blackle

I received this from my cousin today and I think it's great:

Google is the second Brain to many of us. We use it frequently. It uses white screen which consumes high power.
Read the following......... If Google had a black screen, taking in account the huge number of page views, according to calculations, 750 mega watts/hour per year would be saved..!!!!!!

In response , Google created a black version of its search engine, called Blackle, with the exact same functions as the white version, but obviously with lower energy consumption:

Help spread the word. Please use www.blackle.com

How can you help?

We encourage you to set Blackle as your home page. This way every time you load your Internet browser you will save a little bit of energy. Remember every bit counts! You will also be reminded about the need to save energy each time you see the Blackle page load.

Help us spread the word about Blackle by telling your friends and family to set it as their home page. If you have a blog then give us a mention. Or put the following text in your email signature: "Blackle.com - Saving energy one search at a time".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never taken that into consideration before...who knew that the color white would take up so much power...really. I do find it ironic that after posting such a blog that your entire blog site deals mostly with the color white. But anyway, I'll consider "blackle".

Anonymous said...

I dunno, I don't really believe that having a white background makes much of a difference, I think people are looking too much into these things. But it's interesting.

Azra Momin said...

You know, you're right, Jeff. I found out about Blackle only when I got my cousin's email, but every little bit of conservation is good. I love the white background but will try to change it! Of course, this blog is not being viewed a gazillion times a day like Google is, but I'm sure every bit counts

zachyounkin said...

There are around 14 different versions of “black google” online. The best one I’ve found is www.cleanblack.com. Cleanblack is the only version that allows you to change the text colors of the google search results. Try it yourself by going to www.cleanblack.com/theme/

Azra Momin said...

Wow - I had no idea - 14 versions? How come this is not common knowledge? (Or maybe it is and I'm just very ignorant.)

Thanks for sharing!

Azra