Thursday, April 30, 2009

Street eats

Pictures I took on the run of a vegetable market in Poona. Most of it is out in the street, but some of it is in an ancient building with real stained glass windows. It's like walking into a different world. I only wish I had time to compose my shots, but I hope you'll get the idea!

Here's the structure I just mentioned - all old black stone with strange spire-like thingys...




There were bunches of onions and garlic and peppers suspended in mesh bags, along with bananas and pineapples and lemons...

The ceiling is very high, with those windows all around shining red and green.

And this is the outside part of the market:




Can you tell this place would be blindingly bright without those awnings?


I wish I had more pictures of the fruit stalls. There were strawberries and figs and papayas and pineapples and pears and peaches and pomegranates (OK, that's a lot of p's, but you get the idea) not to mention the grapes, bananas, apples, and oranges, of course...and a few others I didn't even know the names of.


This strawberry seller's awnings really caught my eye - they were so festive!



Broccoli, bitter gourd, eggplant and cucumber...


And all the fresh green (and red) things this man could find...




Look at those mounds of produce...stunning!



They had everything packaged and ready to go - corn, lentils, mushrooms, stir-fry medleys...I would happily turn vegetarian with a market like this to go to!

6 comments:

Cao said...

That's a lot of fruit, I bet they sell out in a day too...with all the people living there. India is too hot for me, I'd go crazy living there. Nice place to visit though.

Besides, I think I'd drive your parents nuts if I lived there lol.

GalleryJuana said...

I would love to visit India someday.

livingglassart said...

What a great market! I'd love to visit India!

Anonymous said...

Ditto - on my list of places I would like to visit.

Samantha said...

What a gorgeous market, those pictures make me hungry!

Azra Momin said...

Thank you everyone - the pictures don't do justice to the place though. What's funny is, when I said I wanted to take pictures of this market I got a lot of laughs from the people who live in Poona and go there all the time, except my parents, who were the only ones who thought it would make an interesting post.