Saturday, August 22, 2009

Ramadan is here!

Alhamdulillah, we have been graced with another Ramadan, another opportunity to become closer to God, another opportunity to renew our commitment to generosity and patience!

This is DaddyBoy's fifth Ramadan. Before he was Muslim he couldn't conceive of voluntarily leaving food and drink from dawn till sunset, everyday, for 30 days. Now he does so like he's done it his whole life.

Of course, Ramadan isn't just about that.

It's about appreciating our blessings, being patient, and being generous towards those who are less fortunate than us. It is about gaining the right knowledge, contemplating our purpose on earth, and strengthening our resolve to become better people.

If you are among those who observe this month of fasting, Ramadan Mubarak to you!

4 comments:

Cao said...

Yes, this is "DaddyBoy's" fifth Ramadan.

Like you said, fasting just isn't about not eating and drinking but developing patience and becoming a better human being over all.

Sometimes I find myself swearing or cracking a joke at somebody, I really need to stop doing this (Ramadan or not).

I'm not perfect by any means but nor are we expected to be. This month is just a very helpful reminder (for me anyway) to better myself.

Anyway Ramadan Mubarak to all of those who are celebrating. :)

Green Hand Studio said...

This explanation about the meaning of Ramadan really touched me.
Mubarak to all of you!

gennysent said...

thank you for your comment on my blog!

I saw your name and thought maybe it was a Persian name? My hubby is from Iran - his family is Muslim and he is fasting as well for Ramadan. Although he hasn't done it in many years, but this year he felt compelled to.

Your art is lovely and I LOVE your design blog...so neat!
-genny

Azra Momin said...

Thank you, Cao, Barbara, and gennysent!