Monday, September 28, 2009

Warming Up For The Orchid Show


Working in watercolor feels so good!



The show is in early November and I haven't yest decided if I'll make my five pieces in watercolor and frame them, or do acrylics on stretched canvas that I don't have to bother framing.   The thing is, I've always painted my orchids in watercolor - I think they just shine with the delicate translucency that medium offers.   But I think I'll do one in acrylics next see how it turns out.  Afterall, it's great to try new things, and who knows, I may be able to do a mix of both types!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. I have NO patience for watercolor (maybe I do and I don't know it yet, because I don't use them?)

I'd say go with acrylic. Although, stretching canvis is a pain in the butt. But if you use store-bought stuff its ok, but I hate the pre-fab sizes.

Today I did some acrylic on stoneware for my ceramics class. I used lots of medium, so it was like a super-duper fast version of glazing in oil (which is the DEVIL!). Oh, I hate glazing. In oil.

Acrylic is fun because it dries so fast, but you can't work with it! But i'm sure if you're used to watercolor, you're patient.

Lovely orchid! (sorry to ramble)

Anonymous said...

OMG how could I misspell CANVAS? Bah!

Azra Momin said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Fresh! I love acrylics too, and most of my current work is in acrylics, both on paper and canvas. It's just that I've never painted ORCHIDS in acrylics. But there's no reason why I shouldn't! Let's see what comes up!

Would love to see that stoneware you painted!

(Oh, I hate painting in oils too - but I think oils need way more patience that watercolors - wc is so spontanuous - oils are the ones that take forever to dry - uggh)

Cao said...

I miss you doing watercolor paintings, not that you ever get time to do them.

You think we'd have more actual orchids around the house considering you like them so much.

Azra Momin said...

I managed to kill the real orchids you got me once - dunno how - they should've lasted a long, long time....

:(