Sunday, July 6, 2008

My spices are here!

I found a bag hanging on our door today - four little jars from Victorian Epicure - the company I ordered from at the spice party.

Inside were Cuban, Thai, Satay and Taco dry spice blends...quite different from what I thought I'd ordered, so it was a nice surprise.

Can't wait to try the Satay blend - I remember the unbelievably colorful street markets of Singapore and Malaysia, and the scrumptious satay sauce...yum. It was such a wonderful trip, and although 10 years (what?) have passed, the sights and colors are still vibrant in my head. In one meal at one of the outdoor food courts I remember having about six varieties of fish, each cooked to perfection. I wish I had pictures of the street markets, though...all that profusion of color, light and texture.

Maybe I can go there again some day, but for now I have my spices!

I already tried the Cuban with some beef that I marinated with orange juice. The Taco spice I used on some tilapia with lemon juice and a tiny bit of cilantro, and the Thai went into some fried rice. I usually make all my spice blends from scratch so it was cool to just open the jar, shake out the spice, and be done!

And they were good, too!

No comments: