Sunday, January 10, 2010

In The Bag!

OK - not completely: I'm still learning how to make a little purse, but sitting down (a lot of sitting down!) and actually making one taught me a couple of things that I now know how to fix in my next one.  Like sewing the lining part separately from the outside part and then inserting the lining into the outside part, and then sewing them together!  I also didn't have a clasp available so until I put one in (I'm thinking just a plain magnetic closure) this purse doesn't close...

But this was a weekend's worth of work for me - all those little bits first patched together, then the outlines to each shape, for which I used a variety of methods: handsewn bunched up strip of fabric - those puffy ones that you see - cord, twisted bits of fabric and well, more cord.  I tried riboon too but the width didn't look right so I took it off.  Also I could have used more layers of fabric sewn together for the handles but my back was starting to give out and I just used wide brocade ribbon instead.

And oh yes, each side has its very own metallic brown rose!

I love crazy quilting, and this was my very first time doing it.

I'm so happy with it!






















My very first bag, and that too a crazy-quilted patchwork one!
YAY!

5 comments:

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating said...

Beautiful! I can't believe that's your first attempt. It looks like you're a pro! I'd love to learn how to do that.

Azra Momin said...

Believe me - I'm learning myself! I think I should look up some instruction videos or something though to cut down on the the work time. My back isn't too happy!

Thank you for stopping by, though!

saadiya said...

Unbelievable! Great work! All the superlatives put in one sentence..

Cao said...

I still don't know how you found the time to make this purse, and I'm living with you lol. It's very good though and I'm proud of you (hope that doesn't sound too corny). I wish I had your motivation and determination...

Nice work, love.

Azra Momin said...

Thank you, Saadia, DaddyBoy! It was very satisfying to make, Alhamdulillah. I did the whole thing without first affixing the pieces to the base fabric by basting or pins or fabric glue. Don't know what I was thinking! I think I'm better prepared for the next one now!