Friday, March 5, 2010

Fabric Jewelry - Finished And WIP

I finished my book illustrations - just need to do some final resizing before I send them off.  So I took a break and snapped some quick pics of my what I've been doing in between, not in natural light but the best I could do for now.  I'm so excited about these fabric jewelry pieces - they look good, even though they took ages.

Anyhow, here goes:

A REVERSIBLE necklace!  Yes, you can flip it over and sport a new look instantly.  I didn't intend it to be this way, actually, but the shiny silver-shot-with-orange backing fragment that I used looked so funky I had to develop it into its own side.



The original side is pink fabric that I covered in a layer of diaphonous gold ribbon, and voila, it became a dusty salmon that matched perfectly with the bead necklace in pale peach.  Embellished with shreds of pink brocade, golden sequins and beautiful browny-pink vintage Czech glass flowers. 



The other side is that lame-like fabric, adorned with a sprinkle of long glass tubes, and edged with a pale gold trim.  Both sides look fabulous!





Then there's this piece that I made a while ago but could never decide upon the necklace part.  Nothing seemd to look right until I came upon this multi-strand blue chain.  It's fabric and handmade - how cool!  So finally the piece I called Celebration when I first made it, has something to celebrate!  It's now whole and gorgeous.







And a very boho-chic cuff in my favorite blue-green turquoise - frayed edges and large round sequins held together with a button I covered in green dupioni silk, the same fabric that lines it at the back.







Finally, my work in progess.  Can't you just tell it's going to be stunning!



That's all for now!

4 comments:

Cao said...

I like your cute smurf Jewelery...I only call it that because a Smurf made them (you).

Julia said...

Love the top reversible necklace! Very artistic and pretty.

Azra Momin said...

Thank you, Julie! It was another of those happy accidents that sometimes happen!

Saimese said...

I am drooling over that second necklace! Gorgeous!!