Thursday, July 26, 2012

Painting the flowers


OK!!!  Time for color!

I started painting the flowers on white muslin.
I'm using plain ol' acrylic paints, and it was easier than I thought.

The flowers layer will be a separate layer altogether.
Once I finish it, I'll stitch it on to the green background.

At least, that's the plan :)





Meanwhile, the background is coming along as well.




The base was muslin that I painted in greens and browns,
on which I had layered the cheese cloth I dyed in the same colors.

Now I'm adding circle cutouts from my paper cloth that
I created earlier - just to add interest.

Notice how wonderfully stiff the paper cloth is?
This was a really good thing to try!
It cuts like paper and doesn't fray,
but is pliable and sew-easy, like medium weight fabric.




To add even more texture, I'm making large,
random stitches with embroider floss.




And then, to jazz it up, my lovely water soluble crayons 
are adding color to the stitches.  It's like I used 
variegated thread, when it's actually only solid green.

More next time!




No comments: