Saturday, July 14, 2012

Textile Project: Drawing a picture



OK, so sticking up the image was the easy part,
but what was I to do next?

I debated drawing it out versus tracing.
Of course, tracing sounds easier.
It would also ensure correct placement of parts.

So tracing won out, but it wasn't a simple matter at all!

When I tried to see through the tracing paper,
the image was very faint, barely visible.
Still, I soldiered on!





Of course, I had to first make a tracing paper quilt.

But I realized right away that I should make
the quilt as I trace along, not before,
since I had to constantly lift the tracing paper to 
take peeks at the photo to make sure I was on track.




This is what it looked like.



Can hardly see a thing, right?


I reinforced the ball pen lines with black crayons.
Did some shading.
Much better!



I can see some of the tonal differences now.


How will this tracing help?


I'm hoping it will enable me to see the picture 
in a more two dimensional way.
Break it down to its basics.

That way when I trace it on fabric I can focus
on the main parts first.

At least that's what I'm hoping!

Next: color!


2 comments:

Stephanie Rehkopf said...

Flowers make my heart sing! How lucky to receive such a beautiful image to translate and make your own. I can't wait to see what you do with this.

Azra Momin said...

It IS so exciting, Stephanie. Although seeing the work of the other team members leaves me wondering what I'm doing in such an accomplished group.
We'll see how my flowers "unfurl" :)
Thanks for dropping by!